Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Never Take Anything For Granted

Life is so short. No one knows exactly when our time will come or when our loved ones will be taken from us. That's life. I wonder sometimes how much different we all would be if we knew the exact moment when our life would end. Would we do more things knowing tomorrow might never come? Would we be nicer to the cashier at the store? Would we say "I love you" to our husbands, our children, our parents? Would we call our parents more then we do? Gosh, I don't know. Maybe knowing would make us go crazy. It actually definitely would make us go crazy. We act the way we do because we think we will be given one extra day to make things right; to fix things. But what if we don't? What if we don't have that extra day to apologize or to tell someone how much they mean to you? I never realized how precious life is until I had a baby. I want to see him do so many things. I want to see him walk and hear his first word and to listen to all his giggles. I want to watch him go to kindergarten, play baseball, and I want to go to countless track meets and watch him. Or band concerts if that's the route he chooses. I want to see him graduate high school and get married and have children of his own. I don't want to miss any of that. When I had a bridal shower all the guests wrote advice on a notecard. Over half of those notecards told me to never go to bed mad. I think that is so true. We need to end each day on a positive note. No one wants to wake up with a heavy mind. I want everyone to know that I care and love them at the end of the day. Each morning is a reason to celebrate life. God has blessed you with one more day to do better then the day before. Everyone says to never take anything for granted because you never know when it will be taken from you. Live each moment like it's your last. There's no way we can actually do that because deep down, we know that it's not our last. We always assume that we have another chance, another opportunity. Eventually that will not be the case. We live to learn. I want to be a better person. I want to be a better mother, a better wife, daughter, sister, friend. I want to LIVE. I want to be kind to people I don't know and be happy, because there is always a reason to be happy. It can always be worse. I have experienced a lot in my 24 years, but I am sure that I have experienced more good than bad. There are so many people out there that have it worse then me. I have great friends, parents that support me and love me, a brother who has become my best friend, a husband who thinks I'm the greatest woman in the world, and a beautiful baby boy who needs me. I have a roof over my head and I put food on the table. I laugh more than I cry and I think more than I speak. I am blessed. I have worked to get where I am, but God has and is blessing me and the people in my life. What more could I want? There's tons and tons of things I want, but I've got everything I need. I have it so good. SO GOOD. Life is beautiful. 


My dad is a birdwatcher. He loves birds and when I was little he would take me bird watching. He loves it and I grew to love it. There's a peace about looking at birds through binoculars. They are magnificent creatures that just float through the air. They are beautiful and strong and are independent. My dad taught me to notice the little things. He taught me to appreciate everything around me. He makes me notice the rain, the dark clouds, each little piece of grass, a flower petal, an ant walking on the ground. My favorite thing when I run in the early mornings (it's been a while since I've done that), is taking a deep breath and seeing my breath in the air. I don't know what it is, but I love it. How many times do you notice something like that? Every time you walk outside in the winter? When do you really notice the frost on the windows in the morning or the dew on the grass? When do you really see the colors of the sunset? We always notice the bad things. The wrinkles around our eyes, the gray in our hair, our muscles that aren't toned. We are so quick to pick out the things that are wrong, when really, we should be focusing on the things that are right. When I stare at Hunter I notice every little wrinkle, every hair. He's so new, so fresh. I don't want to miss anything about him. What would life be like if we stopped being so busy and just noticed what was around us? If we just appreciated what we had right in front of us? We will never know. Life is so wonderful, but we tend to forget that when we get all caught up with everything else going on. 


My daddy taught me to see that life is beautiful. There is something beautiful about every moment of every day. Embrace it. Look at it. Capture the moment. Breath. Live. We never know when our last day might be, but we have today. We have it now and that's all that matters. 
 My Daddy 

Us

No comments:

Post a Comment